Sunday, January 15, 2012

Master Bedroom


The pictures above are of our master bedroom. We have been in our home about 14 months now. It's a farm style house built in 1921, with additions made in 1926. We have done lots of painting throughout the house but as far as our master bedroom we have done nothing, even those curtains (ugh) were left by the previous owners. As you can see it's a very dark room. I flip flop back and forth about whether to paint it or not to paint it. I think it has grown on me (all the dark wood) even though at first I hated it. One thing that has to go though is that bedroom suite (graduation gift to my husband from his parents).  The more I look at prices of furniture the more I am thinking of painting this one, I want to go with white. Only thing though I feel this bedroom suite is so 80'ish, and I just hate that. For sure the ugly mirror/shelf is going that's on the dresser. You can see I already I have it cleaned off and ready to be gone, just waiting on husband to be home from work long enough to help me get it out. What do you think? Couldn't you see shabbified (made up that word myself)  bedroom suite, white sheer curtains, pretty chandelier?

4 comments:

Susie Swanson said...

It's beautiful just the way it is..I love the look of stuff when it's old..Susie

pedalpower said...

I grew up in an old cottage with dark beadboard walls like that, and I love them. In the old cottages, they often had cottage funiture that was painted light colors (like this http://mitziscollectibles.typepad.com/.a/6a011168ca5559970c01675ea87cad970b-pi), and I think you could do that with your bedroom set. great idea about losing that mirror. I bet you could find a wonderful vintage one hang on the wall over the dresser. If those louvered closet doors are newer you could do them in a light worn look like the furniture. I'm crazy about your room and would looove to have one like it!

pedalpower said...

Darn, I must have done that link wrong...I'll try it again
http://mitziscollectibles.typepad.com/.a/6a011168ca5559970c01675ea87cad970b-pi

countrycharisma said...

Love your room! Your furniture painted would really set off your wood beadboard. Distress your paint then add some linen fabrics and will take on a real cottage feel. Your new mirror is great!