Friday, December 18, 2009

Death And The Holidays

It seems death always visits my family during the holiday season, if you remember last year on this day my uncle passed away.
Well yesterday a very sweet Great Aunt of mine was laid to rest, Aunt Florence. Attending her funeral yesterday brought back memories of losing my grandmother (01-01-1996). My grandmother and Aunt Florence were sisters, there were 9 siblings in all, all of the siblings were close and loved each other so very much but my grandmother and Aunt Florence were best friends on top of being sisters.

My grandmother was strong, she didn't cry easily where as Aunt Florence would often cry. My grandmother would often say "Florence is a cry baby" but we all know she cried because her heart was just so big and full of love. I will always remember going to visit Aunt Florence, it never failed when she opened the door to greet you she'd cry because she would just be so happy to see you. Aunt Florence suffered from Alzheimer's, she was 85 years old.
Aunt Florence and Me, taken at a family reunion Sept. 2007

Of those nine siblings there is only one remaining, Aunt Norma, sadly she isn't doing very well and she suffers from Alzheimer's also, Aunt Norma is around 95 years old.

My great grandparents and their 9 children, the Woodham family

Death is sad at any time but during the holiday season it seems to be even worse. It reminds me though of how special family is, and in the hectic time of shopping, etc. I am reminded to slow down and really enjoy and appreciate the family I do have.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I love that picture of the kids with their folks. Memories are such good things. ~Mindy

David said...

I like big-hearted women! And I may well end up a sentimental old cry baby myself someday.

When we aaaall get to heeea-ven,
What a day of rejoicing that will beeee!
When we aaaall see Jeee-sus,
We'll sing and shout the vic-to-ryyy!


God bless you!