Thursday, December 3, 2009

Final Stop

Our final stop while in Blount Co., AL is somewhere I have wanted to visit for years but never wanted to make that 3 hour drive just to go there. I was really excited when I found out where the repelling trip was because I knew now I'd have my chance ...

We got to visit the Hays Cemetery in Hayden, AL where grave sites of my 5th great grandparents are located, Stanwick W. Hays and Catherine Counts Hays. Stanwick was born in the year 1786 in South Carolina and died in 1878 in Blount County. Catherine was born in the year 1790 in South Carolina and died in 1834 in Blount Co.

After Catherine's death Stanwick married Elizabeth Mullings. In all Stanwick fathered at least 20 children. Shewwwwwwww, can you imagine that many children?

For those of you who know me, you know we spell Hayes different, it was with my 4th great grandfather, David C. Hayes that the "E" was added to Hayes and that is how my family continues to spell it today.
Below is a cute old house located on Hays Cemetery Rd. that we passed going to the cemetery. Don't you just wonder about the families that once lived in this house, what life must have been like for them. I can just picture in my mind children outside playing underneath that big tree.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Great pictures. So glad you and your family had a great trip. Looks like a really neat place to visit.