Wednesday, December 2, 2009

An Old Covered Bridge

While in Oneonta, Alabama on our trip Saturday we passed a sign on the road that said Covered Bridge. We turned around and went back, here's what we found.
This is the Easley Bridge, built in 1927. It is the oldest of the 3 remaining bridges in Blount County. The bridge spans the Dub Branch.







The other two bridges in Blount County are: The Horton Mill Bridge, built in 1935, it is the highest covered bridge built over water in the U.S., it towers over a deep gorge cut by the Warrior River. And the Swann-Joy Bridge, built in 1933. It is the longest surviving covered bridge in Alabama (324 ft). It spans Locust Fork on the Warrior River.

I wish we had taken the time to visit these two bridges but we were running out of daylight and I still had one more place I wanted to visit, which I'll post about tomorrow.
Just so you know each Autumn there is a Blount County Covered Bridge Festival, I would love to go next year and visit all 3 bridges.

3 comments:

David said...

What a great place to visit! And a great place to take photos too. You'll have to remember that place for Molly's wedding pictures! *ducking*

;-)

Jill said...

What a beautiful place. So glad you all had a great trip.

Melanie said...

Great pictures! Such a beautiful bridge!!!!